This remix almost didn't happen. I made a number of attempts, but was unhappy with the results.
Initially, I chopped out some sections of the tracks "Do" and "Re" and put them in the Samplr program on my iPad. Later, I recorded off some of the altered (and not-so-altered) unmixed sounds within Samplr into my Zoom H1, and then transferred those files to my DAW for mixing.
After some false starts, I watched the movie The Descendants, which I hadn't seen before. It was a really sad movie. I like sad movies. I figure it was the saddest movie I've seen since The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, except the Diving Bell movie was much artier.
So I thought I'd try to come up with something based on the idea of a Sad European Movie Soundtrack. I wanted the recording to be real stark. Minimal piano. Like you're watching a lonely old French or Italian black and white movie where the soundtrack was transferred from an old worn out print.
It was fairly straightforward to create once I got the idea down. And I got lucky with a brief dissonant section about 2/3s of the way through.